Sunday, April 15, 2012

Shimelle's Crop - Try a New Style

The third challenge I've completed from Shimelle's crop was the challenge to try a style that is completely new to you. I chose to do a layout using a variety of Tim Holtz techniques. See Here

Now, I have to admit that Tim's techniques are not totally new to me - I have taken classes over the years and learnt bits and pieces along the way. However I have usually applied them to altered art projects and items for the home - this was my first forway into a Tim Holtz style scrapbook page! I also received my copy of Compendium of Curiosities Volume 2 (I never got the first one) this week so I was itching to try out some of the techniques.

On my layout I have used Kraft resist, using both Distress inkpads and Distress stains; a texture fade technique; spritz and flick distress (on the stamped tag); and finally used core-dinations Kraft cardstock which has been distressed in various ways.

The photo, which was taken in New York last summer seemed perfect for this style. Originally I had tried to use 2 photos but couldn't make the positioning of elements on the page work. I chose the best one to showcase instead, distressing the edges of the photo and mounting on black to make it pop. I finished off with some Tim Holtz stickers, then some old letters that also had a distressed effect on them. The cogs were from a Sizzix Bigz die and were cut from the core-dinations before being distressed.

Thanks for looking :)

Photobucket

2 comments:

Emily D. said...

Wow... this turned out great!! I love Tim Holtz' style. You did a fabulous job!! I'd definitely like to see you do more like these... you do such a great job!

Jen said...

Thank you Emily - I think I will definitely be doing more in this style - part of it was having the confidence to try out the first one!