Thursday, August 24, 2006

I wish.....


Hollywood Tower Hotel
Originally uploaded by Scrap_Vamp.
I made this LO a couple of months ago, finally getting a chance to use some of the heritage style stash that I acquired when I first started scrapping. I turned the photo to Sepia, and the subject fo the delapidated hotel in the background, with the romance in the foreground, just seemed to shout Heritage at me!

It just makes me wish I had more true heritage photos to scrap. I'm sure both my surviving grandparents have piles of photographs sitting in their lofts or cupboards but I don't know that I'll have a chance to look at them or get them scanned in while they're still here....at which point it will mean I'm not able to ask them about the people/places/occasions from the photos. Mind you, grandad's memory is so erratic I'm not sure whether he would remember much about them himself now?

When Amelia was born, Robin got annoyed with me for taking lots of photos of her. Four months down the line he realised that he and Row didn't have any photos of her that they'd taken themselves, apart from those they took on the day she was born. I was able to make a disc of all the photos I had taken over the first four months of her life, with all the photos dated by the camera, and Rob and Row were very grateful for this.

I think Robin is also starting to understand why I scrap. I like to try and do it in the moment - when Carl and I got back from Forida I filled an entire 12x12 album, and an 8x8 album, within the first six weeks of being home - I want to record the memories while they are still fresh.

Only yesterday I was with mum, Row and Millie, and we got to talking about fireguards for when Millie starts crawling. This led to reminiscing about how Mark used to be put behind the fireguard (not when the fire was on, obviously!) to play games, which in turn led to memories about how he used to curl up inside cupboards and other small spaces. Mum asked if I actually remembered all these things, or if was just from seeing the photos. I must admit, the photos are the main trigger - my real memories are very faint. But at the moment I have my mum and dad to fill in the blanks. Once recorded, we will be able to show our grandchildren what we got up to when we were their age, not having to worry about relying on sketchy stories, passed through generations - they will be recorded permanently.

And so, after all that rambling, this is the real reason why I scrapbook, and the reason so many others do it as well. Maybe no-one will be interested in looking at them in the future but I wish I had more knowledge about my late grandma when she was my age - I never asked her enough questions while she was still here. Hopefully I can foresee the questions people might want to ask of me and my family in the future and, in this way, leave them the answers.

2 comments:

Claire said...

well said, Jen. So glad that your family are finally starting to get it, too :)

Anonymous said...

What a lovely layout. Its so nice to have people around us who get what we do and why we do it.