Thursday, August 31, 2006

I love my cardies!

Today's prompt on UKS was asking what/where is your comfort? I pondered this for a while and couldn't really think what it was. Then I realised I was wearing it!

Whenever I'm feeling down, lonely, or insecure, I put on one of my chunky, cosy cardies. Something about the way they envelope me, like a big hug when there is no one around to give you a proper hug, makes me feel much more secure again. It helps me to hide my fears until I'm with someone and can talk them through.

When I worked at S Water and was having a bad day, I pulled on my cardie. My colleague used to wonder about how cold I got (I do get quite cold, more than most people - no idea why, the doctor couldn't find any reason for it!) but then she sussed that it was also my comforter. I guess it is an extension of having a "blankey" or suchlike as a child, although I don't remember ever having had one....I'll have to ask my mum! But I do know I have ALWAYS had chunky cardigans - and when I was much younger they were always the ones that had been hand-knitted by my grandma :).

And the only thing that makes me cardie more comforting is having a huge mug of tea, some biscuits to dunk, and a good book, which always makes me feel better, especially when imagining what it must have been like to live during the time of Jane Austen and Anne Bronte when a woman had to be married off with the best possible prospects, regardless of whether she would be happy in the match! In case you're wondering where that came from, I read The Tenant of Wildfell Hall last week and am almost finished reading Pride and Prejudice lol!

Now this entry has GOT to be a LO in my BOM.

3 comments:

Jules said...

Oh yes, the cardie!!! An excellent piece of clothing indeed!

Claire said...

I've lost my favourite cardie, I wish I knew where I left it. I didn't leave it at yours did I?! LOL

Jen said...

Sorry Claire - you weren't wearing one - remember when we actually had nice warm weather? Not insanely hot, but not completely miserable lol!

Hope you find it soon!